Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Ashley Regional Medical Center now provides a Cardiac Rehabilitation Program for patients recovering from cardiac events.
What is Cardiac Rehab?Cardiac Rehabilitation is a medically supervised program consisting of exercise training, education on heart healthy living, and counseling to reduce stress and help patients return to an active lifestyle and recover more quickly.
Our Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
The Cardiac Rehabilitation program at Ashley Regional Medical Center emphasizes a safe and personalized approach to recovery through the three E’s:
Exercise: A safe, personalized exercise program designed to speed your recovery and improve your overall health.
Education: Classes on heart-healthy eating, blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes control, stress control and smoking cessation to help you live a healthier lifestyle.
Encouragement: Ongoing support from our cardiac rehab team and a built-in support group of others in the program.
How Does Enrollment Work?
To enroll, a physician referral is required. We will work with your physician to obtain the needed information. You will exercise in our monitored program. An individual exercise program will be designed for you. We will teach you the skills and tools you and your family need to monitor your progress so that you can eventually exercise independently.
What does the program offer?
Our Cardiac Rehab program offers a multi-faceted and highly individualized approach to optimize the overall physical, mental, and social functioning of people with heart-related problems.
We also provide:
- One hour assessment
- Exercise 3x per week with blood pressure, heart rate, and pulse oximetry monitoring
- Development of home exercise routines
- One-to-one education and classes
- Progress reports sent to physicians
- Final evaluation upon completion of the program
Who is a candidate for this program?
Anyone with a history of heart disease or who is at risk of heart disease is a prime candidate for the Cardiac Rehabilitation program at Ashley Regional. The program is designed for patients with the following conditions:
- Coronary Bypass Graft (CABG) Surgery
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Intervention (PTCI)
- Myocardial Infarction (MI) within the preceding 12 month
- Heart failure with LVEF <35%
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
- Heart or Heart-Lung Transplant
- Valve Repair/Replacement Surgery
- Current/Stable Angina
Why is Cardiac Rehab important?
- According to the American Heart Association, roughly 915,000 people each year will have a heart attack. Of those people, more than 30% will have a second and potentially fatal event.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation (CR) reduces the risk of future cardiac events by stabilizing, slowing or even reversing the progression of cardiovascular disease (CVD).
- Only 14-35% of eligible heart attack survivors and 31% of patients after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (CABG) participate in Cardiac Rehab.
- Eligible Medicare beneficiaries is even lower at 12%.
Call the Physical Therapy Department for questions or to make appointments for the Cardiac Rehab Program at 435-789-6757.
Director of the program - Tama Anderson, R.N.